there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

O, sibling, where art thou?

I just got back from a matinee of Margot at the Wedding and as I slogged up the snowy hill on the way home, I reflected on this film and the last one I escaped to see, The Darjeeling Ltd. Both films focus on sibling relationships: Margot sisters and Darjeeling brothers. I have to say that, first, I loved The Darjeeling Ltd. I know that many people would disagree with me on this one, but I thought it both hilarious and touching like all of Wes Anderson's movies. On the other hand, I left Margot at the Wedding feeling pretty down. There were definitely funny parts and well done, but overall it was a really depressing portrait of a dysfunctional relationship and especially of one truly unlikeable character, which is definitely more Noah Baumbach's style.
As most of you reading this know, I have one brother and no sisters. I definitely found the brother film much more relatable, especially the scene where Adrien Brody's character hits Owen Wilson's in the face with a belt. Brody's face in the immediate aftermath so perfectly summed up every fight I ever had with my brother-- lashing out, realizing immediately what you did was horribly wrong, continuing to beat each other senseless. I found much less to relate to in Margot, although I wonder if my brother saw the two films which he would see more of us in.
Both films featured actors I was not expecting to like as much as I did. With no real reason, I went in to Darjeeling Ltd. without high hopes for Adrien Brody. I don't know what I was thinking, because he was amazing. Jack Black in Margot was by no means amazing, but neither was he chewing the scenery as he usually does, so I left with a much better impression of him as a human being.
Upon reflection, I think what was saddest for me about Margot was how her character has made me review one of my life's goals. I love the cantankerous older women characters who say what they want, when they want, and are at once horribly scathing and terribly witty. I've always sort of hoped that one day I could be like them, only without the high-necked dresses. (But who knows, my throat might get cold when I'm old, too.) Margot was so awful, though, that I realized how fine that line really is. And how unattractive that behavior can really be. So, maybe I will try to be a nice old lady instead, but it will be an uphill battle I'm sure.

3 comments:

Listmaker said...

regarding margot at the wedding, i couldn't agree more.

http://listmakeratthemovies.blogspot.com/2007/11/margot-at-wedding.html

Hott Mama said...

Thanks for the link. He must have intended the movie to be dark, because I kept thinking there was something wrong with the film or the projector.
Jeremy and I were talking later about how both Anderson and Baumbach see people as inherently kind of screwed up, but where Anderson is optimistic about it, Baumbach is a total pessimist.

Listmaker said...

good to know about the darkness. i had a feeling that might have been the case because the previews looked fine. the other 2 movies i've seen recently like this have had messed up previews as well.

can't say i'm terribly optimistic about the next baumbach. but i'm always excited for more wes anderson even if i haven't loved his last two.

more movie reviews!