there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

California homeschool controversy

Recently I was asked in a comment on "I did it!" about my opinion on the ruling in California regarding homeschooling. You can read about it here or here. This mess has been overtaking all other discussions on my VT homeschooling yahoo groups. I really am not sure what to think about this ruling. I don't think a parent should need a teaching credential to homeschool. And I don't understand how, if there is no law about homeschooling in CA, the court can arbitrarily decide what qualifications there should be. State laws vary so widely regarding requirements for notification and I am of two minds on the topic.

On the one hand, I don't really want the government hovering over my shoulder with everything I do in the privacy of my home. I also don't appreciate the implication that I am not capable of teaching my child basic math, reading and life skills without teacher certification. In Vermont, I am required (once my child is of 1st grade age) to notify the Dept. of Ed. of my intent to homeschool. This will involve filling out some forms including a course of study outlining our plans for the year. Then at the end of the year, I have the option of having a teacher evaluate the work and write a report, sending in a portfolio of representative work, or subjecting my child to a standardized test. If we do this successfully for 2 consecutive years, we will be considered a successful homeschool and will just have to notify them of our intent and not have to justify every year. These requirements are among the strictest in the nation and they upset some of the homeschooling population of our state greatly.

On the other hand, these rules don't upset me that much. I think it is interesting that my child would have to pass a standardized test to be considered successful, but children fail those tests all the time in public school and are advanced to the next level. Otherwise, I think that in order to protect children, the state needs to have some oversight. There are places like CT and DC where you don't have to register at all. The trouble with this is that there are a very few parents who pull their children out of school or never enroll them to avoid the prying eyes of mandatory reporters and those children go unprotected from abuse. Not to mention the fact that some people may be incapable of teaching their children basic skills. It certainly doesn't help that California family's case that the father used the word "ain't" in his statement to the press.

So, Dave's comment back to my original reply (a much shorter version of the above) was this:

But isn't it possible that a great many parents may, in fact, be unable to teach kids basic math and reading skills? Can we, as society, bear the risks of those kids not being properly educated? And what about the signals that a contrary ruling would send to elementary school teachers? That their skills and talents are negligible because any parent can do what they do?

Yes, Dave, not only do I think it's possible, I think it is probable that there are many homeschooling parents who are unable to provide their kids with a basic education. More than math and reading, I fear for the "science" being taught to some Christian homeschoolers which focuses on creationism as scientific fact and does not mention evolution or the "Big Bang" theory at all and presents fossils as trickery planted by the devil. I can't imagine what this will mean for our country's future. We fare poorly enough compared to other countries as it is. I honestly believe, though, that the vast majority of homeschooling parents are very capable people who have their children's best interests at heart. And most of them do use packaged curricula, especially for math.

As far as the teachers go, I would hope their skins are not so thin. It does not in any way make their skills and talents negligible to say that I don't need certification to teach my 2 children. They are being expected to teach anywhere from 10 to 35 kids at once to whom they are not related and of whom they don't have the knowledge that a parent does. It is entirely different. Knowing my children as I do, I will have a better idea from the start how to present a topic for the best chance of comprehension, where a teacher would have to spend a portion of the year just figuring out how each child learns.

Basically, I think that it is the state's responsibility to educate our children in the event we can't or don't want to do it ourselves. It is in everyone's best interest to have a well-educated populace. Whether a child learns in a public, private or homeschool, the important thing is that he learns. But if a private school need not require a teacher to be certified, why must a parent be?

3 comments:

Ivanomartin said...

Thanks for the thoughtful post, HM. Incidentally, in case you were wondering who the heck I am, I'm a friend of Listmaker and found your blog through a link from his. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your blog, but I find this topic interesting.

I don't pretend to be an expert on California education law, and I haven't read the decision in that case, but I think that the law at issue simply required children between the ages of 6 and 18 to attend public school for a certain number of hours each day. Either the statute itself or the courts at some point recognized an exception where the child is being homeschooled by a state-credentialed teacher. The plaintiffs, as I understand it, challenged the law on the basis that they had a constitutional right to homeschool their kids. The court upheld the law, refusing to recognize that constitutional right. I guess it is technically true that the legislation does not preclude uncredentialed parents from homeschooling, so long as they do so in addition to sending the child to a credentialed teacher for the requisite daily hours. However, it seems to me that the practical effect of the law is to make uncredentialed homeschooling impossible.

I think I agree with the policy basis apparently behind the CA law; I'm sure you don't. Then again I obviously don't know nearly as much about homeschooling as you do, and perhaps I tend to unfairly caricature the practice somewhat. Do you have any statistics or evidence to back up your assertion that "the vast majority of homeschooling parents are very capable people," rather than fundamentalist Christian didacts?

dn

Crispin H. Glover said...

I think there's stereotypes or caricatures of all types of schooling - weird homeschool kids, roughneck public chool kids, prissy private school kids. There are obviously pluses and minuses for each way of schooling but it depends so heavily on the individual kids too that overarching rules tend to oversimplify it all. It is my firm belief that you can get a good (or good enough) education wherever you end up if you make the best of it. Peronally, I don't like the idea of paying for school so private is out and the public school system here is somewhat flawed and rigid. Looking back on my public school days I had a great time but it was like being caged in a zoo. Kids are animals and the system is so mind numbing and soul crushing at times that I just think in some ways, it's an idea whose time has come and gone. Frank Zappa made sure to pull his kids out of CA public school as soon as legally possible and lately that's how I feel about it.

Hott Mama said...

Dave, you can hijack this blog any day. I'm sure everyone appreciates your rescuing them from another recipe.

I don't have statistics regarding my statement that homeschooling parents are capable. I just know what I've seen, and what I've read on discussion lists. Rarely are the debates poorly written or thought out, and even the truly hateful ones are grammatically correct if nothing else. And the "fundamentalist Christian didacts" almost all use the Abeka curriculum and do "school at home" so chances are good that their math and reading skills are fine.

You don't have to agree with me. I have said before that homeschooling was never my intention. We moved here because we thought it was a good place to raise kids and everyone spoke so highly of the schools. Unfortunately, the public schools have been crippled by No Child Left Behind and they would most certainly leave my child behind. I won't allow that to happen. In the future, one or both of them may go to school, but I will have to know that it is the best decision for all of us.

What are your plans for your little one?