there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Lower expectations=better experiences

8 hours after we left for the birthday party today, we finally made it home. And I have to say, it was a nice party. I have no need ever to return to the overpriced Build a Bear workshop, but Sebastian had a wonderful time and it was a very well organized establishment. While all the other kids were staring in that inimitably childlike way that somehow encompasses fear, confusion and longing, Sebastian was participating his little heart out. A dance party? Sure, he'll jump around. Ask the kids if they're ready to be loud? The other ones nod their heads while my boy shouts, "YEAHHHH!!!!" When paired up with a child he'd never met he hugged her and said, "Thank you for being my partner for the Fluffing Station, Natalie." He was in heaven.

When it was time to leave, the workers put the kids' bears in their little boxes and put their name tags on the box. It was only then that Sebastian realized he would get to take the bear he'd named "Mary" home. He was so excited. I think he thought that he was just helping these people do their jobs or something. It was very sweet.


And I definitely think that when I thought I was "just a dummy who didn't think things through" that I was correct. I wasn't thinking about all the other parents who would also need to eat at Friendly's. So I ended up eating with the 2 moms I like best of that group, and one other woman I'd never met.

It all took way longer than anticipated, so that by the time we finished with the party and made a quick stop at Forever 21 (2 t shirts, 1 sundress and a necklace for $28), it was already 2:30. Jeremy thought we were coming home at 3. The mall is an hour away and we hadn't yet gone to Trader Joe's. We could not go home without pickles. Then we hit a traffic disaster which made the 10 minute trip to TJ's take an hour. We got home at 5.

It was totally worth going. Some days I can be so frustrated with Sebastian's behavior. Today, he was so happy and so polite and so well behaved that my faith in him was renewed. He was the life of the party and everyone was as happy to have him there as he was to be there.

1 comment:

q said...

oh i love this story so much, the little man really came through- and so did you.