there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Thursday, March 20, 2008

I was struck down

Yes, struck down by a cold yesterday. The kids were snotty and had sore throats, so why I thought I could avoid it is beyond me. I was going along fine until about 2pm when I felt the need to lie down on my bed and read.

The next thing I knew, I was asleep.

I do not advise taking a nap while your two small children have free reign of the house. This is where you think I will insert a "funny" anecdote about how I woke up to discover (the kitchen covered in flour/my face covered in marker/shit smeared on the walls). Thankfully, none of that happened. No, I don't advise the napping simply because it does not even approach restful. Your ears are still open, straining to hear (chairs scraping the floor to reach high cabinets/art supplies being uncapped/grunting). Your eyes snap open every 4 minutes to check the clock and see if dinner needs to be started.

I was decidedly not refreshed when I dragged myself out of bed 45 minutes later to chop beets for dinner. This prompted a brief breakdown at said dinner because I didn't want to eat that; I wanted some sort of brothy Asian noodles. A long bath, chocolate milkshake and reasonable bedtime later, all I needed was to gargle with a little salt water and I am on the road to recovery.

That road will be leading me to Panda North today for lunch.

No comments: