there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Thursday, March 27, 2008

I may have an ulcer before I have a house

Thank you all for your support. I'm glad you have more faith in our home buying abilities than I do. But I have the intimate knowledge of our checkbook that you don't, which is where I get stuck.

If I were able to convince the sellers to lower their price, it would still be at the upper limit of what we could afford. And by afford, I mean that it would leave us with only $100 a month in savings which probably isn't enough. And in order to get the house for that price the sellers would have to agree to our getting a VHFA loan, which would require them to cover the closing. So, not only would they have lost $30,000 on the sale, but then even more money for closing. This seems unlikely. Maybe not, since it has been unoccupied for 7 months.

And here comes the crazy mother concern: The drive to the house is very winding, and a couple of years ago a 16 year old girl died in a car crash on that road. One day I, too, will have 16 year olds and I know that they can crash anywhere given the opportunity (like a Taco Bell drive-thru), but this road is a proven 16 year old killer.

And there was a big dog that mysteriously appeared on the property just as we were leaving. I wasn't sure what to make of that. But it's possible that the dog would be a continual problem. And it's no secret that I am not a dog person.

I think I would still like to see the inside, if for no other reason than to get an idea of what's out there. But there will be other houses. I am trying hard to not be completely ridiculous about one house. This was the first house I could actually see myself living in. But it won't be the only one.

1 comment:

Listmaker said...

regarding accidents at taco bell - your kids should be fine unless you decide to add an extra accelerator to the car. that confuses paquettes.