there'll be days like this

the children are short, the days are long

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Jump and Climb

Don't ask me why I am only willing to spend $5 per class for myself but am spending $14 per class for Sebastian to jump on a trampoline. Really. Don't ask. You'll only hear a lot of justifications and excuses regarding lack of exercise in the winter that just cover for my inability to spend money on myself.

Anyway, Sebastian started his "Jump and Climb" class yesterday afternoon at the swanky gymnastics studio that opened a couple of years ago, stealing all the students from the Recreation Department. I said that I would rather use the Rec. Dept. and we did for a while. It wasn'tbecause it costs half as much, either.) But you can add to Sebastian's long list of anxieties that he doesn't like to go upside down. You have to go upside down a lot in your standard gymnastics class so I stopped signing him up.

Well, he has been in desperate need of exercise this winter and I finally got a flyer for the new place. He was very excited about the idea of a class entirely devoted to trampolines and rock climbing. $111 for 8 weeks later, he has something to get him through until spring.

I wasn't a fan of the fact that they were playing the worst children's music ever, something Jeremy and I just can't abide. I also can't stand it when people talk down to children or put on weird syrupy voices when speaking to them. I am obviously bringing this up because that is exactly how his teacher behaved, and somehow it seems so much worse coming from a man than a woman. And as I had suspected, Sebastian refused to climb up the tall rock wall wearing a harness. He put the harness on happily, but he would not climb when the teacher lifted him up.

But it was all worth it for the 2 quotes of the day:

During class, after being told the series of exercises to do
"Okay, Blake, I'm not sure I can do a cartwheel, but I'll do my best!"
Yes, my child was delivered to me straight from a '50s sitcom.

After class, showing me his injury
"Mama, look! I scraped my knee."
"Ouch! We'll put a bandage on when we get home."
"No. Red is my favorite color. Please don't patch it up."

No comments: